To keep it mine, remember the “a.w.a.r.e.” acronym which stands for:
– A: accept the anxiety and fear; don’t try to combat it.
– W: watch the anxiety. When you notice it, watch it and scale your fear level and begin to breath and out-breath longer.
– A: act normally. Keep behaving normally as nothing different is happening. This is a way of controlling the unconscious sending it a powerful signal that the over-dramatic response is actually not needed because nothing unusual is going on. It’s only a misunderstanding.
– R: repeat the steps above in your mind
– E: expect the best. It is magnificent feeling when you realize that you much more control and power than you’ve ever imagined. Overcoming fear and anxiety will give you the spare capacity and time in life to focus on what you desire, on constructive activities, things you love or to spend more time with beloved ones.
Trace the roots of your fears and look at the pictures in your head in specific situations of fear. What are you really scared of?
Become your own observer of the complex inner world. There may be deep and forgotten causes in your causes in your childhood, events and situations you don’t even remember or they may have appeared recently. Have courage to look at the fears and accept them.
Whenever you feel fear, switch it over and start thinking about the wonderful things that surrounds you: beloved ones, your beauty, the magnificent nature, all the things around us created by humans etc. Be grateful for all the things you have. If you are afraid of public speaking, be grateful for the opportunity to communicate with so many people and that they are genuinely ready to listen to you.
If you find this tips rather difficult to apply by yourself or you usually prefer ‘teamworks’, try finding a good therapist that might by life-changing. The criteria for choosing your therapist should be more subjective. Choose the one you resonate with and feel comfortable talking everything.
5. Get control of your imagination
Fear thrives when you ensure it the proper ground, when you imagine the worst, when you are pessimistic and lack confidence. Our imagination is an exceptional tool to be able to project into the future so we can plan ahead. However, a side effect of being able to imagine possible positive futures is being able to imagine things going wrong.
Uncontrolled imagination is a nest for anxiety and fear that can spoil otherwise happy lives. Some people misuse their imagination chronically and therefore suffer much more from anxiety than those who either future-project their imaginations constructively or who don’t tend to think about the future much at all.
Anxious, chronic worriers tend to misuse their imaginations to the extent that upcoming events feel like catastrophes waiting to happen. No wonder whole lives can be blighted by fear and anxiety. Some people don’t even really know they are doing this.
6. Fear Diet
3 Foods That Take the Edge Off of Anxiety
Chocolate. Chocolate is high in chemicals such as theobromine (which has drug-like effects in large quantities), but it is also rich in other ‘feel-good’ chemicals such as tyramine and PEA. Don’t shy away from the chemicals, though – all foods have chemicals, chocolate just happens the have the best ones! Add some antioxidants and flavonals into the mix and you’ve got a wonder food.
Ginger. Drink a bit of ginger ale (be sure it uses natural flavoring) or eat a bit of ginger bread. Ginger naturally eases upset stomachs and quells nauseousness – some studies say it works better than popular medicines. How? Ginger, similar to Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs, reduces inflammation. Further, gingerol and shogaol chemicals relax the digestive system, counteracting the opposite effects of anxiety.
Bananas. So potent that some musicians eat bananas instead of taking beta-blocking medications. A number of nutrients combine to give bananas their calming effects, from magnesium to potassium to tryptophan, a precursor of the essential neurotransmitter serotonin. Eat a couple of these natural beta blockers a few hours before you need to perform and watch the fear fly far away.